To create a journey, your first step is to choose a 'trigger' that determines how the journey will be carried forward. The trigger might be based on subscriber activity, like an online purchase, or it could be associated with someone's birthday. When the specified action takes place, or the date rolls around, the journey will be triggered to send.
How to configure triggers in journey
Whenever a user's actions, preferences, and locations match the trigger's condition, they will enter the journey.
Let’s understand each of the entry triggers one by one.
How an event can be configured as a trigger
The entry trigger helps you create a journey based on the events performed by the users on your app or website. For example, it could be a sign-up or purchase or renew a subscription. The events mark the beginning of the user journey.
Know more about 'Events' and 'Attributes'.
Steps to set up the event trigger in the NotifyVisitors Dashboard:
- Go to the left sidebar of the dashboard. Click on the Events under the trigger sections
- Select an event from the dropdown menu.
- Click on the filter icon to add an Event attribute for the selected event.
This way, you can bifurcate the targeted audience to a specific group of users who have performed a specific event about the specific event attribute.
Example: Enter only those users in the journey who have performed the event. i.e., installed your app from Delhi. After selecting the 'Install' event. Click on the filter icon to add conditions to the event. i.e., the city includes Delhi
How to set a segment as a trigger
This trigger specifies a set of specific users who match the segmentation rules set by you in a segment. In other words, enter the user in a journey if they enter/exit a specific segment.
Suppose the main purpose of your journey creation is to convert the leads into customers, and you have created a segment of the users: such as users who have similar interests. Therefore you can begin the user's journey based on different conditions of a segment, such as the users who enter, and exit.
How to set up the segment trigger in the NotifyVisitors Dashboard
- Drag and drop on the 'Segment' module.
- Click on the first dropdown menu to define the context based on which you want to begin a user journey.
- Enter: Begin a user journey as and when they are included in this segment.
- Exit: Begin the journey for those users who have been removed from a selected segment.
It is important to note that segments are updated once every 24 hours when used in a journey. This means that any changes to the segment will only take effect after 24 hours have elapsed.
How does attribute change work in a journey
The following trigger lets you create a journey for those users who have similar changes in their user profile attributes, such as their average revenue per user, age group, email address, and so on.
How to set up the change in attribute trigger from the NotifyVisitors Dashboard
- Drag and drop on the 'Attribute Change' module on to the journey designing dashboard.
- Click on the first dropdown to determine the type of Change in the user's attribute value:
Select any change: Begin the journey for the users as soon as the user attribute value modifies in the user profile.
Select specific change: Begin the journey for the users whose attribute value undergoes a specific change in their profiles.
For example: If a user has changed his service preferences from Premium to gold package. Only those users will enter the journey whose customer type attribute value has changed.
For more clarification, check out below what new value or old value refers to:
- New Value: The value present after the change occurred in the customer type attribute. i.e. Gold
- Old Value: The value present before the Change occurred in the customer type attribute. i.e. Premium
Once you have configured the attribute value, you can send communication such as Email, SMS, or Push to the user.
How to use website traffic blocks in a journey
This trigger allows you to enter those users in the journey who have landed on your website via Page URL and Page Path.
How to set up the website traffic trigger in the NotifyVisitors Dashboard
- Drag and drop the 'Website Traffic' module on to the journey designing dashboard.
- Now, select the variable from the dropdown menu you need to determine the users' entry on your website.
- Page URL: If users visited your website using the specified URL (in this case https://www.notifyvisitors.com/) then they are qualified to enter the journey.
- Page Path: If a user entered your website using the specific page path (in this case /blog/) then it will be considered as website traffic and further allow them to enter the journey.
- Minimum time on the site: This allows you to enter only those users you have spent minimum time (in this case 10 seconds) on your website. Determining minimum time helps you identify the relevant visitors for the journey.
After reading this article, you may have understood how to set different triggers in a journey and engage relevant visitors.
Read our related articles:
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry! We couldn't be helpful
Thank you for your feedback
We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article