A conversion is any action considered valuable by an organization that is performed by an individual after opening up a message sent by the organization via email, SMS etc. or while visiting the organization’s website within a predefined conversion period or attribution window. An action deemed valuable by an organization could be anything such as an individual placing an order, purchasing a product, subscribing to the organization’s blog, downloading the organization’s app, viewing a particular webpage on the website etc. All such actions, if deemed valuable, can be tracked as conversions.
In order to analyze the performance of your marketing campaigns and channels, you need to track the conversion data/metrics as well as the revenue generated through them. This kind of critical data or analytics helps you to study and understand the actions taken by your customers/subscribers as they engage with your marketing campaigns. You can thereby improvise your marketing strategies after studying this gathered business related data.
NotifyVisitors provides important analytics viz. tracked conversions and revenue generated through marketing campaigns. Hereinafter, we delineate how to edit the settings for conversion tracking, how to configure revenue mapping and how to use various parameters to track email and SMS conversions.
How Does Conversion Tracking Work In NotifyVisitors
NotifyVisitors enables you to track conversions for a variety of marketing campaigns such as Email, SMS, Whatsapp, Web Push and so on for a predefined time period called the attribution period or the conversion period. A conversion usually occurs when a user clicks on the campaign to open it, and consequently performs an action such as clicking on a link provided within the campaign in order to make a purchase, subscribe to a blog etc.
Note: You can alter the duration of the conversion period, and therefore all the conversions occurring within the specified duration will get recorded. For instance, If a user clicks an email containing a sales offer on a particular product and performs an action such as placing an order for that product on the same day, then this action will be recorded as a conversion.
Important Points To Remember While Tracking Conversions
• Conversions will only be tracked for those events wherein a user engages with the campaign and not merely when he/she receives it.
• The conversion period will commence once the customer engages with the campaign, and in case any subsequent actions deemed valuable by your organization are performed in relation to the campaign by the customer within the specified conversion period, then they will be counted as conversions.
⇢ For example, suppose you have defined the conversion period as five days. So, when you dispatch the email campaign and the customer receives the email, then opens it and subsequently makes a purchase through the a link provided in the campaign within a period of 5 days, then this occurrence will get counted as a conversion.
Conversion tracking is based on the last-touch attribution model i.e. for a specified attribution window, the conversions will only be counted for the last email the user opened/clicked, even if the user performed actions such as placing an order for a product, availing a discount offer etc. through a link present within an earlier campaign. The priority will be given first to the clicks on the campaign and then to the opens in case there are no clicks performed on the campaign.
Note: You can view analytics (generated revenue) only for a broader time frame and not for an individual day because a single day is insufficient to accurately gauge the revenue generated through any campaign. So, you must specify a broader time frame for your marketing campaigns.
Why Does NotifyVisitors Track Conversions In This Manner
NotifyVisitors provides accurate conversion analytics by calculating the conversions based on data directly from a built-in integration or an API. It does not rely on pixel-tracking conversions that could be unreliable. For instance, if someone opens an email campaign on their tablet or phone but chooses to make a purchase from their laptop, then the conversion tracking method that relies on pixel-tracking would miss such a conversion.
NotifyVisitors lets you view all the key metrics across all platforms and not merely the revenue conversions. You can also know the page views on a specific product page and other performance standards for your marketing channels.
How Does NotifyVisitors Track Clicked Events
Tracking both clicked as well as opened mail events: Many times, the email’s recipient clicks on an email without actually opening it (i.e. the recipient clicks on the email but the email does not load completely). For such scenarios, you can enable both of the Conversion Tracking Metrics, namely open and click, in order to track users who not only clicked on the email but also successfully opened it. NotifyVisitors tracks the click events by appending unique tracking information to the URL.
How Does Email/SMS To Website Tracking Work
The email to website tracking functionality employs cookies to track and identify all those individuals who browsed through your organization’s website after clicking/opening an email campaign. When a user visits the organization’s website through a link provided within an email campaign, then this occurrence can be identified via the browser’s cookies and these cookies can be used to track conversions linked to the user.
Appending UTM Tracking To Emails
While creating an email campaign in NotifyVisitors, you can add UTM parameters to your email. You can configure the UTM tracking parameters at an email level: -
NotifyVisitors will track the following by default: -
|NV_EMAIL / NV_SMS
|NV_email_campaignName / NV_sms_campaignName
For instance, suppose you have a welcome series flow and the very first email is titled "Brand’s Introduction" and the journey email ID is L25hm7, then the following UTM parameters will be added to the links: -
Discrepancies Between Google Analytics And NotifyVisitors Conversion Tracking
There are differences between the conversion tracking process employed by Google Analytics and the one utilized by NotifyVisitors. NotifyVisitors uses data such as the customer’s phone number, email ID etc. directly from its database, whereas Google Analytics employs the method of pixel tracking to track conversions. So, there might be instances where Google Analytics would not record conversions when they actually occur.
• Google Analytics does not track those subscribers who simply read your email but do not click on the link present within it. On the other hand, NotifyVisitors does track the subscribers who supposedly received your email, read it but did not click on the link present within it.
• The major difference between Google Analytics and NotifyVisitors is the tracking of analytics within a specified conversion period. Google Analytics does not entail any conversion period. Additionally, NotifyVisitors uses the last-touch attribution model, whereas Google Analytics does not.
How To Track SMS Conversions
Tracking SMS conversions is similar to tracking email conversions i.e. by editing and updating the tracking settings. You can set up the tracking of SMS conversions within a specific time frame.
• When a recipient receives the SMS, then clicks on it, and subsequently performs any action on it within the predefined period, then NotifyVisitors will count it as a conversion.
• The SMS conversion tracking is based on the last-touch attribution model, which means conversions will only be counted for the last SMS interaction of the users with your brand within the conversion period.
After reading the article, you must have understood how NotifyVisitors conversion tracking differs from that of Google Analytics. We recommend you to refer to the NotifyVisitors conversion analytics since it helps you to record every move of the subscribers.
Revenue Mapping In NotifyVisitors
Revenue mapping is a technique to track the revenue generated through all your campaigns and journeys. It enables you to derive a correlation between certain user actions and your business’s revenues. The process to map revenue in NotifyVisitors is described as follows: -
1. Navigate to the NotifyVisitors Dashboard> Settings > Revenue Mapping.
2. Click on the tab titled ‘Revenue Mapping’ and define all variables such as Revenue Currency, Label, Revenue Event, Revenue Attribute etc.
- Revenue Currency: Select the currency, i.e. INR, dollars etc. in which you wish to map the revenue.
- Label: Define the labels for events & select the events for which you wish to view and analyze the revenue.
- Revenue Event: Choose the event from the drop-down menu. The event is triggered whenever there is a conversion/sale and consequently the sale attributes get mapped with the revenue collection.
- Revenue Attributes: Select the event attribute from the drop-down menu that denotes a piece of sales information such as total amount.
- Conversion Deadline: Track conversions for campaigns for a predefined time period called the attribution period or the conversion period. Set the duration of the conversion period for mapping revenue on any event. Revenue mapping for events will automatically cease after the conversion period expires. You can define the conversion period in terms of hours or days.
- Conversion Tracking Metrics: In order to accurately track the subscribers’ engagement with your email campaigns for scenarios wherein the recipient clicks on an email without actually opening it (i.e. the recipient clicks on the email but the email does not load completely), you can enable both of the Conversion Tracking Metrics, namely open and click, to track users who not only clicked on the email campaign but also successfully opened it.
Note: You can add as many events and their corresponding attributes as you like by clicking on the ‘Add More Field’ button. Once you have defined all the variables, kindly click on the ‘Save’ button.
3. Follow the steps mentioned below in order to map out the revenue generated on the specified events.
Navigate to the Dashboard> Real Impact> Revenue to view the total revenue generated through all the campaigns, journeys and channels viz. Web Push, Email, SMS and WhatsApp. You can also separately view the revenue generated through each channel.
Note: You can choose the timeframe and the event for which you wish to view the revenue metrics.
The different REVENUE variables are defined henceforth: -
Revenue: Under the ‘Revenue’ tab, you can view the total revenue generated on the chosen event and also the total revenue generated via all the campaigns and journeys on that specific event. You can view a date-wise representation for the generated revenue on the chosen event as shown in the image below.
Channels: In this section, you can view the revenue generated through each individual channel such as Web Push, Email, SMS and WhatsApp.
Campaigns: In the campaigns section, you can view the total revenue generated for a specific push or email campaign. Apart from the total revenue, you can view the average daily revenue generated by a specific web push and email campaign, total orders booked from each push and email campaign, total paying users.
Additionally, by clicking on the total number of orders/transactions booked for any specific campaign, you can view the Revenue Logs for that particular campaign as shown in the screenshot provided below. Within the Revenue Logs frame, you can view the details of all the users along with their activity as they engaged with the campaign and booked orders.
Journey: In the journey section, you can view the total revenue generated through a specific journey. Apart from the total revenue, you can also view the average daily revenue generated by a specific journey and the total orders booked within a specific journey.
Pop-up: In this section, you can view the total revenue generated through a specific banner campaign. Apart from the total revenue, you can view the average daily revenue generated by a specific banner campaign and the total orders booked on a specific banner campaign.
This is how you can configure conversion tracking and thereby map various conversion metrics to gauge the performance of your campaigns.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry! We couldn't be helpful
Thank you for your feedback
We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article